Monday, May 21, 2012

Great-Grandfather Sinnott's Death Announcement FOUND

I was so excited late, late last night when I decided to go for the one week trial membership of Fold3.com and within an hour of searching a very important piece of information was found: Great-Grandfather Edward Sinnott's death announcement from the New York Times.  He died - sadly - at the age of 40 at his home at 445 West 32nd Street in New York City on January 23, 1897.  He left six children and his widow, Mary.  Below are both the enlargened announcement and the full annoucement from the New York Times.

Now that I have this vital piece of info, I may be able to go to NYState and find the actual death certificate which may - I pray to God it does - list his place of birth in Ireland and his parents' names.

I'm really enjoying this ancestry search but it is sad to find these hard facts about what my family went through so long ago. I think about how difficult it was for me to lose my Dad when I was 26 years old, but I can't imagine losing a parent at 12 years old as my Grandmother Coffinger did.  Very sad.  I hope, somehow, they know I'm searching for them and will send a little good Irish luck my way! : )

Click to
enlarge

November 2016 UPDATE:

I cannot thanks the ROOTS Genealogy group enough for pointing me toward this INCREDIBLE clue to my ancestors in Ireland.  I wept when I read the post and following information:

The NY Municipal Death records have listed my Great Grandfather Edward Sinnott's death on FamilySearch.org as SINNATT.  The info is correct, though, as it coincides with the information for the Death Notice reported in the newspaper, same address and death date... and here is the news:

My GREAT-GREAT GRANDPARENTS NAMES are Edward and Kate (Catherine, I imagine) and are from Ireland.

Furthermore, the lovely people at ROOTS followed up with a report of two baptisms in Dublin.  I'll post more info in the next few days... but I'm elated... and so thankful to the people who took personal time to find me this information!

Here is the FamilySearch.org screen shot! : )  (Insert thrilled look here!!!)

No comments: