Monday, June 4, 2012

1880 US Census is now available

... and I have the Edward & Mary Sinnott family at 352 Tenth Avenue, Manhattan information.  Unfortunately nothing new is provided.
1880 US Census 10th Ave. Manhattan
This past Friday, June 1st, I went to New York City to visit both the Municipal Archives and the National Archives, NY center.  The Municipal Archives close at 1pm on Fridays in the summer and because I was showing up at 1:45pm, that meant I couldn't do any ancestry searches.  I was very disappointed, to say the least!  I left and hailed a cab to go to the National Archives and spent a few  hours there and was helped by a few very friendly volunteers.  Unfortunately, even with the help of a senior genealogist on Ireland, we came up with nothing.  All the avenues they suggested I had already been down.  I am hoping that the Death Certificate for Edward that I've sent off for (and that I could have picked up at the Municipal Archives had they been opened!) will provide me with some nugget of information that I can then link to the next piece of searchable data.  Fingers crossed.

Meanwhile, the Sinnott Family in 1880 on Tenth Avenue consisted of:

Edward, age 31 (DOB: 1849), box maker, born in Ireland
Mary, age 30 (DOB: 1850), keeping house, born in Ireland
Catherine, daughter, age 6 (DOB: 1874), born in New York
Nicholas, son, age 4 (DOB: 1876), born in New York
James, son, age 3 (DOB: 1877), born in New York
with:
Guy Spears, age 39, a boarder in the house, box maker, from Scotland
James Sinnott, age 35, brother to Edward, clerk in a grocery, from Ireland


And, from the NY Times, it looks like Tenth Avenue was a business district... but don't pass off Oleo as butter or you'll be arrested! : )   Interesting immigrants' statistics below. 

No comments: